10 months ago
When thinking about the recruitment process, it is important that employers extend their line of sight beyond just the job offer and also take into account the first few months of a role. As one employee said of their current employer – “They have a great process for the candidate but their onboarding process is poor.”
It is important to note that a candidate may still have live applications, and can still withdraw from the role at a cost to the hiring organisation: The probation period works both ways!
When reflecting on the onboarding experience, candidates want to feel like they are prepared but also want to know the employer is equally prepared for them. Candidates don’t want to be wasting their first day waiting for IT to set them up with a PC login! – An employee’s first day can tell you everything about a company.
– 69% of employees are more likely to stay with a company for three years if they experienced great onboarding
– New employees who went through a structured onboarding program were 58% more likely to be with the organisation after three years
Successful onboarding is a key part of any talent management strategy. Integrating new hires into the organisation is an important step to ensure their success. The key is to involve and introduce existing employees and stakeholder’s engagement to help the new hire settle quickly and gain key interactions to help everyone understand one another over time.
Research and conventional wisdom both suggest that employees get around 90 days to prove themselves in a new job. The faster new hires feel welcomed and prepared, the faster they will be able to contribute to the firm’s mission.
Best Practice for On-Boarding;
– Implement the basics prior to the first day
– Outline the Induction programme- this can be sent to the new hire prior to them starting
– Meet & Greet your new employee, be ready and delighted for them to join you
– Ensure all technology is ready to go- Email, passwords, key codes, security guidelines, bank details for pay, pay dates, expense claim protocol etc
– Make their first day on the job special – take out for coffee, lunch
– Introduce new team members, include stakeholder meetings as part of the program
– Make their first day about them and all they can achieve, paint a picture of their future
– Be crystal clear with new employees in terms of Objectives ~Timelines Roles ~Responsibilities
June 8, 2018
Thursday 7th June 2018 Cummins Mellor, delivered their bespoke employability packages to staff from the Blackburn branch of HMRC whom are sadly set to be made redundant this year.Read full story
December 8, 2017
We placed 10th out of 70 companies who were eligible to be ranked in the Gold Employer of the Year (2 – 49 employees) category at the annual Investors in People awards!Read full story
November 21, 2017
Michelle Mellor answers the question she's frequently asked since Cummins Mellor relocated..."Why Blackburn?"Read full story
November 3, 2017
Over 50 businesses from across Lancashire including; Graham & Brown, Pierce Accountants, Napthens and Bowker Blackburn, battled it out at the Mercure Dunkenhalgh hotel to be crowned ‘Quiz Quest Champions 2017’.Read full story